Monday 24 October 2011

About the artists - No.1 - Coreen Harris


Here is an artists statement from one of our artists Coreen about her inspiration, working practice and methods


COREEN HARRIS

I am a combined artist, freelance writer and poet, who uses mixed media, abstract painting, mini installations and manipulated digital photography within my fine art practice. I enjoy working at full speed and am happiest when producing various creative writing projects, painting on canvas and working on my mini installations simultaneously.  My work takes centre stage, as if it were a canvas from Jackson Pollock’s studio.

My mini installations were recently shown at a London exhibition and were included in my graduate show at University. As a story teller I use the paradox as my key to conjure up ordinary characters, creating dramatic assemblages using found objects, exploring these characterizations and fragments of the identity which are revealed to the audience. These artworks are a cross between Cornell-like drawers and Mark Dion’s fabulous curiosity cabinets.



Working on various abstract paintings I am driven and inspired by the work of Jean Dubuffet and Cy Twombly who both used a sophisticated and very complex method of theory through painting, to translate their hypotheses into mark making. Within my own abstract painting practice I hope to discover some of these methods, using the narrative to produce biomorphic images interacting with the viewer to evoke emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment