Monday 24 October 2011

About the artists No.2 - Donna Thacker


DONNA THACKER

I graduated from Northampton University in 2010 with a degree in Fine Art. This course gave me the opportunity to develop skills in disciplines such as Printmaking, Photography, Sculpture and Painting. Prior to this, I spent four years studying Art and Design at Rugby College by completing two separate courses. During my time there, I was given the time and opportunity to experiment with different Medias and apply them in new ways.

As for my current practice, I am interested in both figurative compositions and the notion of ‘non-places’ and ‘non-spaces’. With these inspirations in mind, I concentrate my work around photography as a starting point, and develop my ideas through either abstraction or representation, both expressing my work through paint.

There are many artists who inspire my practice, but I feel I turn to the works created by Hughie O’Donoghue and Gerhard Richer the most. I will often refer to the works of these artists when I am constructing a painting, to gain knowledge on either depth of colour or information on compositions.

The colours of paint and the technique with which it is applied, are vitally important to my work therefore, if I want to handle a piece with more sensitivity, I use paintbrushes and turps, but if I feel it needs to be a little edgier, I will use a palette knife and spectragel to thicken my paint further and allow me to apply it more energetically. To be considered close to completion, I must be confident that the work is both communicative and atmospheric, although, with each and every work I have done to date, I always feel that there is ‘something else’ that could be done to it. This gives me comfort that I am still developing my skills and I still have more to learn about my abilities and, in turn, more to give to my work.

I am currently a member in two different artists groups, which is makes me increasingly focused on my own practice. I am also responsible for my own family, whilst working full-time at a local school. I love my busy lifestyle, and in turn I gain strength and have the opportunities to motivate myself and others whilst staying grounded, but continually inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment